View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon May 20, 2024 4:19 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Level 1-20 experience (on ranger) 

I’ve been streaming myself on twitch playing a ranger. And let me tell you, the level 1-20 experience has been TOUGH. And not in the good way. I’ve tried doing this with absolutely no sort of assistance of other players. A “new player” experience.

First; Magic Power - what is going on with the lack of Magic Power melee have. You cannot cast your multi spell sufficiently enough to make the leveling experience better. I am currently level 12 and I have 11 Magic Power, WITH base MP. At this level melee class should have at least 1/4 of their hp in Magic Power.

2nd; the respawn rate - Even at incredibly low speeds, I am out killing the spawn rate and causing the dungeons or areas I’m leveling at to have me just stand there and wait. Respawn should be really close to instant spawning or the places need to be made MUCH bigger so it can support multiple players.

3rd; LOOT - you start off receiving potions and little things to get your character going, but the quests gets worse in items the higher they become. The quest items stop coming with properties, and if they do, they aren’t even random. It’s the same 3 properties. Also, LOW LEVEL MOBS drop LOWER level loot. I am killing skeletons in T1 graveyard and skeletons are just dropping me regular sword and clubs. Why can’t these monsters drop me magic chain mails and other sort of items. I haven’t gotten a single piece of good ranger loot other than a fire bow I think I got from a quest.

4th CONTENT - there isn’t much low level content. Jorn is your first “boss” and he drops a dragon claw and that’s about it. Give this man some HP, give him his “boss HP BAR” and have him drop loot and be better content.

It’s been bad. I have not had much fun as a “new player”. The ranger class just isn’t it at low levels.

Please change the BASE MP and BASE HP properties to set numbers depending on item level. This way all of these percents and pluses can also be useful at lower levels and not exaggerated at higher level calculations.

I’m sure you have your hands real busy with life. But please think of re creating this experience, adjusting classes not just for higher levels, but also tuning the low level experience as well.

phpBB [video]

Thu May 09, 2024 10:13 am

Long time player here that usually sits back and watches the forums more than actually jumping into the game:

Magic power: what is stopping anyone from putting some points in INT? I've done this on newbie melee characters for extra MP and normally don't have issues spamming their multi. It is not the "meta" but at such a low level it shouldn't matter that you're putting points into a non primary stat.

Respawn rate: While annoying on a melee, buy a bunch of port scrolls and alternate between marks. Up to level 15 I am usually going back and forth between downstairs T1 GY and the newbie dungeon northwest of Cons. By the time I get through one, spawn is reset at the other. Start adding in some golem runs (east of T1, golem island, and there's one other golem spot that I can't remember off the top of my head) and ogre runs. By 20 you should hopefully be able to get through east dungeon or isle with a good bow.

Loot: you get a bunch of NDNT reflective/fire gear from the newbie dungeon northwest of Cons which should be sufficient for a while. At 15?, you can do the quest for whats-his-name north of the barbarian camp by T2 and then at 16 do one for his wife. This nets you a NDNT elemental leather, which is fine for a low level ranger. Outside of that, the loot table does kind of suck. Anything you find will be blank unless it is "found items" and at that point it will have horrible props. You could prop it yourself, but in the long run it's just easier to buy newbie gear from other people.

Content: the rush to level 20 isn't so bad, honestly. The rush to 20 as a newbie, however, does seem like it could use some help. Even with the imp camps, the named imp in the cave, the dungeon west of T1, the graveyard (and Jorn, which by the way, drops a bunch of somewhat decent stuff. I swear I've gotten a dual steal blood rapier off of him before), the letter/killer quests, etc...there isn't any real guidance to instruct a new player to do all of those things.

Xenimus would probably be my favorite game if it had a more in depth questing system and guidance system for newbies. Most online games are pretty solid in that department. You complete quests in one area, receive a "breadcrumb" quest (deliver package to so-and-so) which is just getting you to the next quest hub, rinse and repeat. I know that stuff isn't for everyone, but if the incentive was good enough to do them (they would level you up and give you gear according to what level you were, give you tokens or some other in game currency that you could trade in for money or specific items that you could choose etc) then i bet everyone would have no problem doing them.

Thu May 09, 2024 4:01 pm

Magic Power:
That's actually quite interesting to suggest an investment into Intelligence.

I'm not sure how X1 is vs X2, but during level up I did try that on a ranger to go from 10 to 11 intel just to see if anything happened when the only indicator was (+1 Intelligence) and not (+1 Intelligence and +3BMP) Do you have to get to like 15 before you see any actual MP increase?

Most folks on X2 seem to toss those Vis Maxi (I think that's the name) pots on newbs to give them enough MP to function, but that is a pretty high tier consumable from my understanding.

Respawn rate: on 2 usually seems sufficient for lower level hunting so I'm glad we dont have that possible issue. Generally as soon as u walk away from an area its popping back in.

Loot: For Xen2 I will say it is frustrating that alot of the NDNT stuff is pre-determined and doesn't always suit your class, but it does usually fit most. Troll King dragon claw 7p NDNT really feels pretty bad when your on a non-dagger wielding class, but as a Mage class you can subsist on a lvl 1 dual steals mace/club so its not tooo dissapointing. As far as consumables its the same on Xen2. If it werent for a steady stable of newbs doing early quests I'd be stuck buying a LOT of consumables to support a higher lvl melee class.

Content: Yeah, it would be nice to have a bit more direction than depending on folks having been here forever to know what to do and where to go. You run into that in alot of ways with other mmorpgs but thats usually once the hand holding is over.

Thu May 09, 2024 9:30 pm

Speaking for Xen 2 experience I did some additional testing.

Ranger Bow dmg seems strangely calculated vs the melee. The bow seemed to do just about the same as the fist and saw some increase from swapping to mystic arrows, but not nearly as much as the damage on the arrows would indicate. Even with every point in the ranger bow skill granting +3%dmg per point the un-skilled sword matched and outpaced until lvl 13 with maxed bow skill.
At level 2 a LB+Elm arrows was doing 2 dmg when my sword was doing 12.
lvl 3 LB+Elm was 5dmg and sword was 14
Level 4 LB+Elm was 8-9 and sword was 17
lvl 13 LB+Elm = 30-43, Sword = 38, Fist = 34

Ranger even with 18 intelligence or 15 Wisdom at level 14 (Used intel/wis rings+ level up point to investigate) did not have enough Magic Power to self-buff It does not appear they recieve any base Magic Power for investing in Intel or Wisdom. And they can only multi 2x before needing to wait for regeneration. The Large Magic Power Potion is great for increasing base MP, but I don't know the recipe and was only given 1. Some high lvls also dropped off vis maximus pots, but thats not a great thing to depend on. Perhaps a quest to craft these blue potions that increase MP could much improve the Ranger/Warrior early experience. It would still require foraging/crafting, but it gives the class a solution internally to address its poor Magic Power since adding stats doesn't seem to work.

Mon May 13, 2024 4:47 pm

[quote="Minoxen"]Speaking for Xen 2 experience I did some additional testing.

Ranger Bow dmg seems strangely calculated vs the melee. The bow seemed to do just about the same as the fist and saw some increase from swapping to mystic arrows, but not nearly as much as the damage on the arrows would indicate. Even with every point in the ranger bow skill granting +3%dmg per point the un-skilled sword matched and outpaced until lvl 13 with maxed bow skill.
At level 2 a LB+Elm arrows was doing 2 dmg when my sword was doing 12.
lvl 3 LB+Elm was 5dmg and sword was 14
Level 4 LB+Elm was 8-9 and sword was 17
lvl 13 LB+Elm = 30-43, Sword = 38, Fist = 34

Ranger even with 18 intelligence or 15 Wisdom at level 14 (Used intel/wis rings+ level up point to investigate) did not have enough Magic Power to self-buff It does not appear they recieve any base Magic Power for investing in Intel or Wisdom. And they can only multi 2x before needing to wait for regeneration. The Large Magic Power Potion is great for increasing base MP, but I don't know the recipe and was only given 1. Some high lvls also dropped off vis maximus pots, but thats not a great thing to depend on. Perhaps a quest to craft these blue potions that increase MP could much improve the Ranger/Warrior early experience. It would still require foraging/crafting, but it gives the class a solution internally to address its poor Magic Power since adding stats doesn't seem to work.[/quote]

I don't believe WIS offers any MP bonuses for a melee type. With 18 INT, you won't have any extra MP iirc. That starts at 19 or 20, where you can get +6 MP per point afterwards until diminishing returns.

Wed May 15, 2024 2:49 pm

"I don't believe WIS offers any MP bonuses for a melee type. With 18 INT, you won't have any extra MP iirc. That starts at 19 or 20, where you can get +6 MP per point afterwards until diminishing returns."
Well, that could warrant some additional testing. I had given up with 8 points netting No result. I'm curious if your 19 or 20 does anything. But 10 points is a pretty Massive investment at early levels IMO Even if you were to take the quick route and invest 6 points +4 int rings to hit 20 that would still mean you need to continue to invest once you move on to VM's etc for your rings.

Maybe if Intel affected more skills or had some feature for the Ranger/Warrior it could be more easily justified. Missing out on 10 agil, 10 str, or 10 Cons may also impact class progression in a negative way. I've just been chugging Vis Max pots folks gave me and leveling is still a struggle at low levels by comparison to any mage class and to a lesser extent the hybrids since they get Trans spell.

I understand that War and to a lesser extent Ranger may have a place at end-game, but this post is about early progression, and rangers definitely suffer in that area. (On X2 atleast)

Wed May 15, 2024 5:00 pm

Just so everyone knows I decided to check out the intelligence for Magic Power on Ranger and on x2 a newbie with 22 wis and 22 Int (was also testing masteries cap) started with 25 Magic Power rather than all other newbs with 10/10 int/wis only starting with 1 Magic Power. . When I get a chance I'll see what int is required to get a solid base MP, but I'd guess it's like the other fellow said likely 19 or 20 to start getting 5 bumps.
So, ranger can build for Magic Power, but at 9+ points to get any return it's steep especially when most folks ignore it and just use potion boosts. I would like to see some more int skills if EJ wants to encourage a bit of some int.

Mon May 20, 2024 3:48 am
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]